Thursday, June 26, 2014

Baby Hulk ~ Two Weeks

I wish you could see what I see.

I wish everyone could know Arden like I do. To me he is not a special needs child. He is only as different as his big brother Nolan, who knew his entire alphabet at age 2, is different from Ephraim, who at age 5 still cannot write his whole name (it is a tricky one).

For almost two weeks my sister-in-law visited with her family, and at one point at the beginning of her visit I realised, I think Arden is a special needs baby to her. I don't remember what it was that made me think that, maybe she seemed uncertain or overly cautious, maybe it was nothing at all, but it made me think that she saw that he was different. Suddenly it stuck me. All my friends and family I have, I see often. They have seen Arden and have interacted with him regularly since his birth. They see him the same as I do. He is just a little ball of cuteness with fat little starfish fingers and potato feet. He is our beautiful boy with pretty soft curls. His lovely sometimes grey, sometimes green, mostly brown eyes. He is our sometimes ginger. He is Baby Hulk. We know him and we see him.

I was sad to realise that she probably didn't see what I saw, but of course she didn't. She had only met him once before when he was about 3 months old! This is how the rest of the world who hasn't been lucky enough to interact with him on a regular basis, will see my amazing Baby Hulk.

Luckily we had two weeks. Two weeks for Arden to show a family that he was only as different as anyone else. He doesn't need special treatment. He can play rough and tumble with his cousin and brothers. He is sneaky! He will throw your caramel coloured carbonated sugar water all over the carpet and make you look bad (he actually got my tea today). He is fast and wild and just like any other little boy.

I wish everyone could spend two weeks with him. Two weeks to see what I see.

Two weeks, to see what she saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment