Monday, July 29, 2013

Hair and Makeup ~ Trying Pravana

So I decided to try a new dye. A friend of mine uses it and her hair always turns out so nice! Mine does too but I have perfected the art of hair dying. If I were to go by the instructions on the jar my hair colour would only last a few washes where as when I do it my way I'm still getting compliments even when I've got two inches of new growth (I've actually been rocking the fro for a while now, too hot to flat iron so the poof covers the roots). If I assume my friend is going by the box with her dye, maybe with my method and her dye.... MY HAIR COULD RULE THE PLANET!!! That's what I thought at least. So I had to give it a try. The dye? Pravana Chromasilk VIVIDS. I just wanted to keep it my blue and pink. I mean I had a 212121 decal made for my car in my hair colour! I can't change it now! We match! So I got 2 tubes of blue and a tube of magenta! I have a confession to make... I've been getting lazy lately. I used to use the packets of Quick Blue as I recommended in my how to dye post a while ago but man... I don't wanna! I've been using... A BOX! Gasp! I've been using Clairol's Nice & Easy Born Blonde in Maxi. It doesn't work quite as well but it sure is easier on my hair and it gets it light enough for the colours I've been using.

So Darling Husband bleached my roots and I was ready to dye! This dye comes in a tube instead of a jar so I have to squeeze it out into a colour bowl and apply with a brush.
   
 It smells like a man. Like a hot sexy man. I miss the grape smell of my Punky dye. It is a lot thinner too. Like a light conditioner as opposed to the thick hair mask consistency of my Punky.
 I got it on, put a bag on my head and sat down with my Kindle in one hand and the hair dryer in the other and read and heat processed my bag head. Then I went to bed. Baby Hulk does not like bag head Momma. He kept giving me the bottom lip and looking at me like he was unsure of whether or not I could be trusted. So he was quite happy to see me the next morning after I rinsed it out. It took forever to rinse and I don't like to shampoo the first time after dying. It never runs clear with Punky either but I ended up doing a co-wash to try to get more out. Then I did my vinegar rinse to seal it and finished with the wonderful tube of conditioner that came with the bleach (why don't they sell that conditioner for real!? I love box dye conditioners!). The water that wouldn't run clear caused some run off dying of the blue in the pink so my magenta is a little ombre. So the roots are the proper magenta but the ends are purply.
I don't think I mind. I have a feeling it will look exciting if and when I finally brave the heat with my flat iron. Of course as I do with every new dye job I put on some extra fun makeup because without it I tend to freak out and think I have just made the most horrible mistake in the world.
  I went a little matchy matchy with the fuchsia colour the blue turned most of my magenta and that was when I decided it was truly and okay thing. Yep! I like it. I hope it fades as nicely as Punky does.

 I will do an update after a few washes to let you know how it holds up but right
 now it looks quite nice and Baby Hulk loves me again.


**Update**
I really hate the magenta. It faded sooo fast. I love the blue though. It has lasted well and is really pretty. I still see lots of blue run off when I wet my hair, and the pink is kind of a purply mauve because of it. My hair has a lot more shine to it, even in the faded magenta so I think it was good to my hair even though it faded. All in all I think it is great for your hair, but maybe not for more than one colour at a time, and pinks will need more frequent touch ups. Feel free to share your experiences with other colours in the comments since they seem to vary.

2 comments: